"In wilderness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau





Sunday, July 15, 2012

Too hot to hike...BUT

...not too hot to cut the grass.
Actually it is too hot but the grass won't cooperate
and keeps growing no matter how much I hope it won't.

My hiking partner for Sunday
















Much too loud, always had to be in the lead, ran out of gas halfway through the hike.
Not a hiking partner I would pick but
I'll probably have to repeat this experience a few times this summer.

I bought a house in the woods so I wouldn't have to have a manicured lawn.

















Though I still have to cut it a few times in the summer.
I wouldn't cut it at all but society dictates otherwise.

This year's wood chips or next winter's bonfire.
















Walking around with a lawn mower is a great way to get exercise
for those with maladies like mine.
It's like having a walker that accomplishes something while it's helping you balance.

Hopefully the weather will break and I can get back on the trails.

I know this wasn't a hike by any stretch of the imagination but I had to post something.
(It was a long walk almost through the woods)

Crotched Mountain next!

2 comments:

  1. I can't begin to tell you how much I related to your Blog report! Although it wasn't related to what some might call "hiking", nonetheless it was about self-propulsion, which actually is what hiking boils down to!

    Also, I can relate to your statement about buying a house in the woods so as to alleviate the need for having a manicured lawn. I even went one step further by buying a condo in the woods where there is also no need for a manicured lawn, plus the condo association takes care of the few mowings that are done each year!

    Thanks for posting this. It was a most enjoyable read!

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John.
      That's my next move - a condo.
      Let someone else take care of the grounds.

      Delete